Now Available: 2020 Double Up Farmers Market Applications
January 13, 2020
Application Process for Farmers Markets
For the purpose of this application, FFN defines a farmers markets as a site where locally grown fruits and vegetables are direct marketed to customers and where site administrators reimburse individual vendors for food assistance sales.
Applications are due by 5 pm on January 31, 2020.
Farmers markets that participated during the 2019 season do NOT need to reapply.
Please contact the Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) at 517-432-3381 with any questions about applying.
Program Requirements for Farmers Markets:
To qualify to participate in the Double Up program, farmers markets must:
- Be able to accept SNAP benefits- If your market does not yet accept SNAP, MIFMA offers a series of resources to help you get started. Visit http://mifma.org/snap/ to learn more.
- Have a SNAP Permit number from USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) by January 31, 2019
- Demonstrate sufficient organizational capacity to handle the associated accounting and reporting
- Have written support to participate in the program from their governing and/or fiscal organization (if different from the market operations organization)
- Have a designated market manager or staff person responsible for Double Up implementation
Priority will be given to markets who:
- Have demonstrated experience accepting SNAP benefits (minimum one season of experience is preferred)
- Are providing increased access to fresh fruits and vegetable for low-income consumers in communities not currently being served by the Double Up program
For Direct Marketing Sites
If you represent a farm stand, food share program, or CSA that has direct-to-consumer sales you can submit your application at the link below.
Please contact MIFMA for any application questions or corrections at 517-432-3381 or email@example.com.