- Our Story
- What We Do
- The Food System
- Fair Food List
We believe everyone has the fundamental right to healthy, fresh and sustainably grown food.
In the United States, we are faced with a broken food system that limits access to healthy, fresh, and sustainably grown food to many low-income families and under-served communities. We also see the brokenness of this system through the prevalence of diet-related illnesses and the steady increase of obesity in these communities, and the number of people who now rely on government food assistance.
Our land has also suffered from the broken system, as agricultural policies and practices have left areas of our planet literally lifeless. Unsustainable practices are the norm in our current food and agriculture system, in which the average plate of food eaten in our homes or restaurants travels 1,500 miles from where the food is grown.
But in the midst of the brokenness there is both opportunity and hope; hope in the fact that there is a movement underway to take back and re-design our food systems on a local level that can influence and advance food system approaches both nationally and globally.
Who We Are
Fair Food Network is a national nonprofit dedicated to building a more just and sustainable food system. We work at the intersection of food systems, sustainability, and social equity to provide access to healthy, fresh and sustainably grown food, especially in underserved communities. We implement model programs and bring the right people together to generate ideas, share resources, and promote policy changes to repair our food system.
We believe that the many long-standing symptoms of the broken food system, whether environment, health-related, or financial, can be resolved by redesigning our food system based on principles like diversity, equity, sustainability, ecology, and resilience. Through thought-leadership and mentoring, grass-roots and national networks, collaborations and communication, and entrepreneurship and skills training, Fair Food Network will help to realize the vision for a more sustainable and just food system.
We have extensive experience working at the forefront of sustainable agriculture and food systems.
- We have deep roots and a broad mission in the food systems field.
- Our expertise and relationships come from decades of work on farming, food production and marketing, research, education, community development, and philanthropy.
We know what works.
- Through our collective experience, we’ve championed, collaborated with, and consulted on many projects and programs to create sustainable food systems.
- We’ve seen which approaches temporarily treat the symptoms of a broken food system, and which ones lead to real, long-lasting change.
We have the unique capacity to bring together leadership, ideas and resources to make a difference.
- Our relationships in the food systems field are broad and deep, forming a network of different interests, expertise and resources.
- Our connections range from community and organization leaders to foundation program officers, farmers and policymakers.
Grow with us
Grow the good. Sign up to receive updates and news from the Fair Food Network.