Writer [applications closed]
Fair Food Network is looking for an experienced writer to join our growing communications team. Are you a strategic thinker and skilled writer who thrives breaking complex topics into sticky copy? A passionate storyteller equally able to write compelling long-form narratives and pithy e-news updates? A social-do-gooder (or aspiring one) with an easy sense of humor who wants to use your formidable skills to improve lives? Well then, read on.
The Writer is responsible for creating original content for three brands: Fair Food Network, Double Up Food Bucks which connects with Michigan residents experiencing poverty, and Michigan Good Food Fund, which serves good food entrepreneurs. They will bring to the organization excellent writing skills and a collaborative nature with proven ability to partner with internal and external stakeholders. The Writer will be part of a growing communications team and report to the Communications Director Andi Nank.
About Fair Food Network
Fair Food Network is a national nonprofit on a mission to connect people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. From our work with nutrition incentives bringing healthy food within reach of every family with benefits to farmers and grocers to our impact investing arm, Fair Food Fund, which is reimaging capital in communities so that food entrepreneurs can be the engine of a more equitable future, we are growing a future where everyone can harness the power of food to transform their communities for good.
- Conceive and write memorable content with fluency between long-form and short-form writing, and ability to pivot writing voice and style for different mediums and audiences
- Serve as lead content creator for fundraising materials including program overviews, case statements, funder appeals, and Fair Food Network annual reports among other materials
- Identify and cultivate story ideas from across the organization; interview program teams and partners to gather and organization information
- Serve as a copy editor, reviewing materials from case studies to social media posts for grammar, style, consistency, tone, and flow; work with team to revise drafts as needed to elevate thesis and key messages
- Serve as an in-house communications expert for program teams and their partners, providing content development support and technical assistance as needed
What You’ll Need
- 3+ years relevant experience
- Excellent writing skills with ability to pivot between short, snappy headlines and long-form storytelling initiatives
- Ability to gracefully pivot when needed, prioritize competing priorities, and responsively collaborate across teams while delivering results
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-initiative and time management in a fast-paced environment
- Display and demonstrate passion and commitment to justice and equity and delivering culturally competent work
- Passion for storytelling and narrative change and asset framing
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Familiarity with fundraising communications
- Familiarity in multimedia content creation (podcasts, videos, etc.)
- Experience with online project management and content calendars (Asana a plus)
- Desire to learn and continuously improve
- Deeply inspired Fair Food Network’s mission
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your skills for social change
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities
Fair Food Network staff is currently remote with plans to re-open its offices under a hybrid work model mid-September. This position will be expected to work in the Ann Arbor headquarters two days/week. The Writer will report to Fair Food Network’s Communications Director, Andi Nank. Salary starts at $43,000 and is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, writing sample (upload under “Any Additional Files”), and complete a questionnaire here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.