Senior Director of Development
Fair Food Network is a dynamic and evolving organization that works at the intersection of people and food to grow community health and wealth. The Senior Director of Development will join a core team of committed staff members to lead Fair Food Network into its next ambitious chapter of fundraising.
This collaborative, self-starter will thrive in a team environment bringing extensive experience as a fundraising professional and team manager. Working in close coordination with the executive and program staff, the Senior Director of Development will be responsible for leading Fair Food Network’s large-scale fundraising initiatives, maintaining complex relationships with existing foundation donors, while diversifying the fundraising base through prospecting and development of a major gifts program with a focus on a long-term vision for growth.
The Senior Director of Development is committed to building a culture of philanthropy within Fair Food Network and will manage all fundraising systems and protocols for Fair Food Network, including a portfolio of donors. They will oversee a small team, ensuring departmental success through coaching, mentoring, and accountability. They must have the proven ability to manage for results, delegate effectively, and “manage up and out” to ensure executive and program staff are well-positioned to support and participate effectively in fundraising.
Fair Food Network has had significant fundraising success in its first decade, primarily through foundation relationships and government grants related to its Double Up Food Bucks program. This success has translated to double-digit organizational growth every year since our founding. As the organization enters its second decade, we are looking for a seasoned fundraising professional to help us sustain the systems and relationships we have already built, while positioning us for growth.
- Department Management: Plan and evaluate fundraising campaigns and activities, setting annual department targets and ensuring financial and activity objectives are achieved
- Team Management: Manage development team; re-define internal structure and roles, including the role(s) of additional staff and/or contractors
- Help develop new fundraising messages and strategies at organization-level as we refine top-level messaging and move away from siloed fundraising by program area
- Develop and implement a sustainable private fundraising plan for Double Up Food Bucks, especially as many of our original funders begin to transition away from support of the program they helped launch 10 years ago, including ideating a fundraising plan for a new Pay-For-Success (Social Impact Bonds) initiative
- Steward a large portfolio of foundation funders and a small portfolio of individual major donors and cultivating them for future giving
- Collaborate with the Fair Food Investment Initiative team on fundraising for our entrepreneur and impact investing work, including big picture strategy development around grants, PRIs, and other investment notes
- Liaise with Marketing and Communications team on the development of a retail fundraising/annual giving program
- Direct and mature development systems, and infrastructure to maximize department effectiveness
- Staying on top of fundraising trends and the nonprofit community to bring professional awareness of industry best practices, and the vision to integrate new processes and procedures
- Other duties as appropriate
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Track record running or co-leading development department of an organization with significant annual operating budget and sophisticated suite of development strategies.
- Proven track record securing six-figure gifts with foundation experience required
- Organized and inspiring leader with experience managing and growing a team
- Flexible professional with ability to reassess and adjust while maintaining steady leadership
- Collaborative self-starter, eager to create and innovate from the ground up within a highly collaborative environment
- Inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission with ability to creatively bridge mission and program objectives with donors’ interests and priorities
- Experience working with connectors, preferred to build major gifts
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues surrounding access, equity, diversity, inclusion, and institutional racism that touch the communities we serve, with an ability to communicate Fair Food Network’s commitment to equity and inclusion
- Superb written, verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce, donor databases, and other fundraising technologies and platforms
- Experience with fundraising for impact investing work preferred, with knowledge of trends among Donor Advised Funds, Foundation PRIs, and individual investors
Compensation & Benefits
This position is based in our Ann Arbor office. Location may be flexible for exceptional candidates. The Senior Director of Development will report to Fair Food Network’s Executive Director, Kate Krauss, and will work closely with Founder and CEO, Oran Hesterman. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Competitive, comprehensive benefits package will include full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities.
Fair Food Network has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help with this hire. To express interest in this opportunity, please submit a resume at https://talent-profile.koyapartners.com/search/3990.
Potential candidates may be asked to submit a brief written application and participate in a phone or video interview with Koya as initial steps.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Fair Food Network’s commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse communities that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.