Program Ambassador [multiple openings: Wayne County, Saginaw, Lansing]
Fair Food Network is a national nonprofit on a mission to connect people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. From our work with nutrition incentives bringing healthy food within reach of every family with benefits to farmers and grocers to our impact investing arm, Fair Food Fund, which is reimaging capital in communities so that food entrepreneurs can be the engine of a more equitable future, we are growing a future where everyone can harness the power of food to transform their communities for good.
About the Role
We are hiring up to four program ambassadors: two in Wayne County, one in Saginaw, and one in Lansing. As a Program Ambassador, you will be the face of the Double Up Food Bucks Program in your community and will serve as a member of the Outreach Team. Program Ambassadors explain how the Double Up Food Bucks Program works to community members and shoppers. This will help shoppers better understand how to use the program so they can stretch their food dollars to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, the ambassadors will inform the cashiers about our ongoing cashier and store competitions as well as the Cashier Engagement Program.
This position reports to the Community Engagement Manager, Carlos Santacruz. The Program Ambassador schedule is flexible, based on program needs. This position requires regular travel to participating locations in an assigned region. Program Ambassadors work 15-20 hours a per week
- Explain the Double Up Food Bucks program to shoppers at participating grocery stores and farmers markets
- Identify and inform Community Engagement Manager of community events (such as health fairs). Coordinate with event organizers to attend and/or share information about Double Up Food Bucks
- Increase awareness and usage of the program by helping new customers navigate the program at participating sites. This may look like helping customers choose eligible items, walking them through the process at the cash register/market information booth, and giving them flyers and information on other locations to shop.
- Refresh Double Up signage at our participating locations as necessary
- Create relationships with cashiers at participating locations and inform them about the Cashier Engagement Program
- Create excitement around the cashier and store competitions and run Cashier Knowledge game
- Be proficient in troubleshooting tech issues at the site- signing up new customers, adding new vendors, adjusting cashier/market staff passwords as needed
- Share feedback from community partners and participants with supervisor
- Maintain accurate documentation of key activities, relationships, and outcomes including schedule, materials distributed, and number of customers talked to, as well as any qualitative feedback
- Attend weekly Ambassador team meetings
- When requested, attend Double Up Food Bucks team meetings to provide outreach reports
- Various other duties as assigned
What You’ll Need
- Strong knowledge of the community you’re working in (Detroit and/or Wayne County, cities of Saginaw or Lansing)
- Availability to work in the evenings and on weekends.
- Commitment to Fair Food Network’s mission to grow community health and wealth through food
- Demonstrated public speaking and people skills; comfort speaking to a variety of audiences
- Experience with and understanding of nutrition incentives and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Bridge Card), preferred
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills and working collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail, follow through and the ability to meet, multiple competing deadlines
- Proficiency using standard Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Ability to travel independently to meetings, events and program sites.
The starting hourly wage for this position is $20.00 per hour; commensurate with experience. All employees are paid bi-weekly.
How to Apply
Please fill out a brief application form and submit your resume at this link. If you have limited access to a computer, you can express your interest for this position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Double Up Food Bucks Hotline at 866.586.2796. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Fair Food Network’s commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse communities that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.