Program Ambassador – Flint
Fair Food Network’s mission is to grow community health and wealth through food. A national nonprofit, we advance programs, partnerships, and policies that improve health, ignite local economies, and open opportunities for all – especially in the most underserved communities.
Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, which serves as a national model for healthy food incentives, doubles the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping underserved families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers.
Through Fair Food Fund, out impact investing arm, we invest in entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food.
Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally for lasting change in communities across the country.
Program Ambassadors promote the Double Up Food Bucks program and explain how it works community members and shoppers. This helps shoppers stretch their food dollars to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and understand how and where the program works. As Program Ambassador, you will be the face of the Double Up Food Bucks Program in Flint. This position works up to 20 hours per week, and reports to the Outreach and Engagement Manager, Angela Hojnacki.
- Explain the Double Up Food Bucks program to shoppers at participating grocery stores and farmers markets to increase awareness and usage of the program
- Help new customers navigate the program at participating sites, including helping customers choose eligible items, walking them through the process at the cash register, and giving them flyers and information on other locations to shop
- Identify and inform supervisor of community events (such as health and community fairs) and other important outreach opportunities.
- Coordinate with supervisor to attend relevant events to share information about Double Up Food Bucks. Locations may include community centers, state offices, cultural centers, schools, religious centers, etc.
- Maintain accurate documentation of key activities, relationships, and outcomes including schedule, materials distributed, and number of customers talked to, as well as any qualitative feedback
- Share feedback from community partners and participants with supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong knowledge of the Flint community
- Commitment to Fair Food Network’s mission
- Demonstrated exemplary public speaking and people skills, and comfort speaking to a variety of audiences
- Experience with and understanding of nutrition incentives and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Bridge Card), preferred
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills and working collaboratively to foster growth
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail, follow through and the ability to meet, multiple competing deadlines
- Proficiency using standard Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Availability to work in the evenings and on weekends
- Ability to travel independently to meetings, events and sites in Flint
Hours & Compensation:
Program Ambassadors will work approximately 15-20 hours a week year-round and earn $11.00 per hour.
How to Apply:
Please fill out a brief application form and submit your resume at this link. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of March 31, 2019.