From farms to families, Fair Food Network connects people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, serves as a national model for healthy food incentives by doubling the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers. Through Fair Food Fund, our impact investing arm, we invest in early stage-entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food. Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country.
Over the past ten years, Fair Food Network has helped showcase stories of successful SNAP incentive projects in Michigan and across the country in support of a bi-partisan effort to secure and expand the Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive provision in the 2014 and 2018 Farm Bills. Beyond our targeted work with nutrition incentives, we also engage in selective policy efforts that intersect with our overall ability to grow community health and wealth through food.
About the Role
Fair Food Network is looking for an experienced government relations professional to join our team. The Policy Director will lead Fair Food Network’s outreach, advocacy and policy-related relationship building work, with an emphasis on Washington, DC relationships and legislation. This person will also oversee a Michigan-based Policy Manager who will support relationship building in the state and manage Lansing-based advocacy and outreach. The Policy Director, working with the Policy Manager, will also contribute policy expertise to Fair Food Network’s new Technical Assistance Hub, which provides support and tools to healthy food incentive programs across the country.
The Policy Director will report to our Chief Operating Officer, supervise the Policy Manager, and work closely with our External Affairs team. The position will be based in Washington, DC. Exceptional Michigan-based applicants able to work from our southeast MI offices will be considered.
- Set strategy for Fair Food Network’s national and state-based (Michigan) advocacy and policy-related technical assistance work
- Conduct outreach and advocacy for Fair Food Network priorities with legislative and executive staff in Washington, DC. Manage strategy for engaging the Michigan Congressional Delegation
- Advance relationships with national affinity groups and partners, including attending key conferences around the country
- Keep Fair Food Network and network of incentive partners informed on key trends and happenings in DC
- Keep legislative and executive staff in Washington, DC informed on the state of the field and projects in their home states and districts, as applicable
- Develop tools and provide real-time coaching on policy matters to Fair Food Network’s national incentive partners through our Technical Assistance “Hub”
- Develop written overviews, hearing testimony, letters of support and other communications as necessary geared toward policy makers
- Manage Michigan-based Policy Manager for results in Michigan advocacy work
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
What You’ll Need
- At least 5 years related professional experience
- Existing relationships with key government officials, including at the USDA and on Capitol Hill.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate among federal officials for organizational priorities
- A pulse on the sector-specific DC buzz and ability to share relevant updates with Fair Food Network and partners in the field
- Demonstrated skills in relationship and partnership building
- Big picture thinking about how to develop content to influence policy makers; writing skills and experience developing materials for government partners
- A collaborative style and willingness to build and strengthen new and existing relationships existing between Fair Food Network and appropriate partners
- Ability to maintain a team orientation while working remotely
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally up to 25% of time
- Deep content knowledge in the healthy food incentive field, including knowledge of key issues important to policy officials and a passion for the topic
- Relationships with key industry partners and affinity groups
- Skills and experience with managing staff for commitment and results
- Desire to learn and continuously improve
- Deeply inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission
- Ability to advance Fair Food Network’s next 10 years of impact
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your skills for social change
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities
- The starting salary for this position ranges from $88-100K, commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please complete the brief application questions via the application form here. Candidates are able to display interest on an ongoing basis. If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to getting to know you!