Fair Food Network is founded on the belief that vibrant local food systems can create health and economic opportunity for all. A national nonprofit, we work with a diverse network of partners and pioneer solutions that support farmers, strengthen local economies, and increase access to healthy food—especially in our most underserved communities. We also serve as a network for the good food movement, bringing people together to generate ideas, share resources, and promote policy change.
Central to our work is developing programs that create on-the-ground impact and serve as replicable models that inform public policy. Key efforts include healthy food incentives and fair food financing, which together grow demand for healthy, locally grown food while building the system’s capacity to meet that demand.
The Grants Manager reports to the Strategic Advancement Director and works in close collaboration with other members of the Fair Food Network (FFN) team to achieve the organization’s fundraising goals and objectives. The position supports teamwork and learning among staff, board, volunteers and grantors to ensure the highest standards for grant management and fiscal integrity.
- Assist with the implementation of departmental fund raising objectives to ensure FFN’s annual grants goals are achieved.
- Conduct research to increase the number of grant prospects.
- Create strategies to be used to cultivate new and existing donors.
- Develop external relationships to cultivate and steward new and current donors.
- Assist in the grant writing process by synthesizing program metrics and relevant data.
- Prepare materials to fulfill grantors’ compliance requirements.
- Support the Development Department with other fundraising activities as needed.
- Assist with the management of the monthly grants meeting process by preparing materials as requested.
- Proactively and on an ad hoc basis enter donor information provided by Executive Director and other key staff members and volunteers into Salesforce.
- Assist with the development of a receipt of funds and donor thank you procedure.
- Work with appropriate staff to prepare a monthly report that tracks organizational resources.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Candidate must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and be knowledgeable about diverse communities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, independently and in team settings.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, Salesforce, Wealth Engine and other wealth screening engines strongly preferred.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate some or all of the following competencies:
- Analytical: Synthesizes complex or diverse information; researches and collects data; uses experience and intuition to complement data; presents complex information in simple yet compelling manner.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers information from others before making recommendations; receptive to alternative solutions and diverse points of view.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and requests clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly, informatively, and persuasively; varies writing style to meet needs of audience; translates organizational jargon into plain English; presents numerical data effectively.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required.
- Candidate must have 1-3 years of foundation/corporate/government relations or other relevant experience.
- Candidate will have experience in writing successful proposals, grants, and other fundraising related material.
- Prospect research experience is preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit in one PDF, a cover letter outlining your qualifications, salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with priority given to applications received by February 27th, 2017. No phone calls please.
Fair Food Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse community that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.
- Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
- Compensation: Salary, commensurate with experience
- Reports to: Strategic Advancement Director