Grant Writer (Contract Position)
Fair Food Network’s mission is to grow community health and wealth through food. A national nonprofit, we advance programs, partnerships, and policies that improve health, ignite local economies, and open opportunities for all – especially in the most underserved communities.
Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, which serves as a national model for healthy food incentives, doubles the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping underserved families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers.
Through Fair Food Fund, out impact investing arm, we invest in entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food.
Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally for lasting change in communities across the country.
About the Role:
Fair Food Network is seeking a long-term contract grant writer to work with our Development Team in support of our annual fundraising goals. We are looking for an enthusiastic team member who is ready to jump in an immediately contribute to successful report and grant writing.
This position is up to 25 hours a week for a $2,500 monthly retainer through the fall, with a reduction in hours through December. The position starts immediately.
The position will work closely with Fair Food Network’s current Grants Manager Nicki Sandberg. While our office headquarters are in Ann Arbor, Michigan, this person is free to work remotely or in the office. Attendance at a few weekly calls and meetings during Eastern Time office hours is required.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
The Development Team will depend on you to provide solid grant and report writing for a variety of funders across our program areas. We will look to you to author proposals and reports and be adaptable to changing priorities while working in a fast-paced environment. Specific tasks will include:
- Write content for grant proposals across all program areas, utilizing existing language as well as crafting new language that fits our organizational writing style.
- Write content for grant reports to fulfill funder compliance requirements.
- Liaise with program team members to obtain necessary content, data, and feedback on proposals and reports.
- Assist with preparing budgets and budget narratives for proposals in coordination with program and finance leads.
- Partner with External Affairs staff to ensure that grant proposals and reports are drafted, revised, and submitted on time.
Who You Are:
- Clear Communicator — You write clearly, informatively, and persuasively; vary your writing style to meet needs of audience; can translate organizational jargon into plain English; and present numerical data effectively.
- Analytical – You are able to synthesize complex or diverse information and data; use your experience and intuition to complement data; and present complex information in simple yet compelling manner.
- Adaptable Teammate – You enjoy being part of a fast-paced, collaborative team. You adapt to changing priorities and can juggle multiple assignments with ease.
- Quality Focused — You get a real sense of satisfaction from producing high-quality, polished work. You pay attention to the details without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Mission-driven — You are inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission and want to contribute your professional skills to advance our work.
What You’ll Need:
- 2-5 years experience in writing successful proposals, grants, and other fundraising related material.
- Solid proficiency backed by hands-on experience with basic Word processing and spreadsheet software.
Please submit your resume and two writing samples as one document to email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us. We look forward to getting to know you!