Director of Development
Fair Food Network is a dynamic and evolving organization that works at the intersection of people and food to grow community health and wealth. The Director of Development will join a core team of committed staff members to lead Fair Food Network into its next ambitious chapter of fundraising.
This collaborative, self-starter will thrive in a team environment bringing extensive experience as a fundraising professional and team manager. Working in close coordination with the executive and program staff, the Director of Development will be responsible for leading Fair Food Network’s large-scale fundraising initiatives, maintaining complex relationships with existing foundation donors, while diversifying the fundraising base through prospecting and development of a major gifts program with a focus on a long-term vision for growth.
The Director of Development will manage all fundraising systems and protocols for Fair Food Network, including a portfolio of donors. They will oversee a small team, ensuring departmental success through coaching, mentoring, and accountability. They must have the proven ability to manage for results, delegate effectively, and “manage up and out” to ensure executive and program staff are well-positioned to support and participate effectively in fundraising.
The Director of Development is committed to building a culture of philanthropy within Fair Food Network and possesses an ability to educate and positively engage donors, natural partners, volunteers, and staff in the fundraising process. They will bring a professional awareness of industry best practices, the vision to integrate new processes and procedures, and a sense of calm and adaptability that will lead the organization forward.
About Fair Food Network
Fair Food Network is a national nonprofit whose mission is to grow community health and wealth through food. A decade in, our work is connecting people to the power of food to improve health, support farmers, ignite local economies, and open opportunities for all. Our work testing and scaling replicable solutions has resulted in big changes in local communities, first through our innovative Double Up Food Bucks program, which today is a national model for healthy food incentives, and now through our Fair Food Fund investing in good food entrepreneurs. Together with our partners, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country.
- Department Management: Plan and evaluate fundraising campaigns and activities, setting annual department targets and ensuring financial and activity objectives are achieved.
- Team Management: Grow, manage, and mentor development staff
- Portfolio management and oversight developing and executing moves management to steward existing donors, while identifying and cultivating a pipeline of new donors.
- Direct all giving programs including end of year solicitations
- Establish a major gifts program working with existing donors and natural partners to identity, cultivate, and solicit new major donors
- Develop gift recognition program and infrastructure leading to launch of annual giving program within next three years
- Direct and mature development systems, infrastructure to maximize department effectiveness
- Oversee grant writing including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Oversee prospect research
- Staying on top of fundraising trends and the nonprofit community
- Other duties as appropriate
What You’ll Need
- Track record running or co-leading development department of an organization with significant annual operating budget and sophisticated suite of development strategies.
- Proven track record securing six-figure gifts with foundation experience required
- Organized and inspiring leader with experience managing and growing a team
- Flexible professional with ability to reassess and adjust while maintaining steady leadership
- Collaborative self-starter, eager to create and innovate from the ground up within a highly collaborative environment
- Inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission with ability to creatively bridge mission and program objectives with donors’ interests and priorities
- Experience working with connectors, preferred to build major gifts
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues surrounding access, equity, diversity, inclusion, and institutional racism that touch the communities we serve, with an ability to communicate Fair Food Network’s commitment to equity and inclusion
- Superb written, verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce, donor databases, and other fundraising technologies and platforms
- Join a passionate, dedicated team
- Apply your skills for social change
- Work in a dynamic growth environment with strong job satisfaction
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities
This position is based in our Ann Arbor office with potential to work from Detroit office 1-2 days a week. They will report to Fair Food Network’s Senior Director of External Affairs, Emilie Engelhard. Salary starts at $94,000 and is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and complete a questionnaire here. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Fair Food Network’s commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse communities that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.