Fair Food Network is founded on the belief that vibrant local food systems can create health and economic opportunity for all. A national nonprofit, we work with a diverse network of partners and pioneer solutions that support farmers, strengthen local economies, and increase access to healthy food—especially in our most underserved communities. Central to our work is designing programs that create on-the-ground impact and serve as replicable models that move the field forward and inform public policy.
Our signature program Double Up Food Bucks helps low-income Americans bring home more healthy food while supporting family farmers and growing local economies. What started as a small Michigan pilot in 2009 is now a national model for SNAP incentives active in more than 20 states.
Our food impact investing projects provide financing and business assistance to good food entrepreneurs that are building vibrant, local food systems.
About the Role:
Fair Food Network is seeking a Development Coordinator to join our Development Team and help us reach our annual fundraising goals. We are looking for an enthusiastic team member to help us improve our fundraising capacity and efficiency.
The position will report to Fair Food Network’s Director of Development, Cara Cummings, and will partner with Nicki Sandberg, our Grants Manager. The role will be based in Fair Food Network’s Ann Arbor office.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
The Development Team will depend on you to provide solid administrative support to help coordinate our grant management and funder cultivation/stewardship work. We will look to you to pay close attention to the details and be adaptable to changing priorities while working in a fast-paced environment. Specific tasks will include:
- Ensure timely and efficient process for grant submission, including gathering supplemental documents and tracking reporting requirements.
- Produce regular programmatic activity reports and coordinate distribution of reports to funders.
- Research and prepare profiles on prospective funders.
- Prepare donor meeting briefs, talking points, and memos.
- Maintain up-to-date records in Salesforce as well as create reports from Salesforce data.
- Process incoming grant awards and payments.
- Offer general administrative support in scheduling, planning events meeting support, and day-to-day grant management.
Who You Are:
- Detail-Oriented – You are motivated by ensuring that accurate data are collected, tracked, and presented.
- Inquisitive – You are excited about researching and tracking down relevant information and facts about prospective funders to compile profiles.
- Adaptable Teammate– You enjoy being part of a fast-paced, collaborative team. You adapt to changing priorities and juggle multiple assignments with ease.
- Quality Focused — You get a real sense of satisfaction from producing high-quality, polished work. You pay attention to the details without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Clear Communicator— You enjoy taking information from a variety of sources and creating clear stories for our funding partners.
- Mission-driven— You are inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission and want to contribute your professional skills to advance our work.
What You’ll Need:
- At least one year of relevant experience and enthusiasm for learning new skills.
- Functional Skills — Solid proficiency backed by hands-on experience with basic word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Commitment to Inclusion — An understanding of the impact of structural inequality and a commitment to helping the organization develop practices that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.
Additional Desired Skills/Experience:
- Familiarity with donor databases
- Project management skills
Fair Food Network’s hiring process for this role is rigorous and may be different from other hiring practices you have encountered before. We practice “blind recruitment” as part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in order to overcome unconscious biases that emerge through traditional résumé reviews. We focus on each candidate’s demonstrated fit to preclude unconscious biases that emerge from knowledge of a candidate’s educational background, ethnicity, gender, or other attributes from influencing initial screening. In practice, this means:
- We will only ask for your résumé after the completion of the skills assessment.
- We will not ask for a traditional cover letter
- We will only ask for relevant, de-identified work experience during the application process
- We will de-identify your name during the application review process
We evaluate candidates primarily through written exercises and trial project. This serves a dual purpose of providing candidates a taste our work and our recruitment team insight into whether a candidate possesses the skills and competencies that are a prerequisite to success in our organization.
Our hiring process includes these steps:
- Written application for initial screening
- 30-minute phone interview assess fit and answer candidate’s questions
- 4-hour trial project to be completed on your own timeline
- Résumé submitted for the first time
- Half-day in-person interview with additional members of Fair Food Network staff including a member of our executive team
- Reference checks
- Offer issued
We are committed to transparency throughout this process. We understand interviewing can be stressful and aim to minimize that stress and uncertainty. To give you a sense of timing, steps two through six above typically take four to six weeks.
Why This Role is for You:
This is a great, early career opportunity where you will learn about fundraising, and be given added responsibility in a growing organization.
Our compensation is competitive with national industry averages and dependent on experience; the starting salary for this position is between $30,000 – $35,000. Fair Food Network offers a generous benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply:
Please complete the brief application questions via the application form here. Candidates are able to display interest on an ongoing basis but please do so by Midnight EST on Sunday, July 15th at the latest.
We are currently seeking candidates for our Ann Arbor office.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at email@example.com. We look forward to getting to know you!