Fair Food Network
From farms to families, Fair Food Network connects people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, serves as a national model for healthy food incentives by doubling the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers. Through Fair Food Fund, our impact investing arm, we invest in early stage-entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food. Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country.
Fair Food Network is looking for an experienced professional to join as our Communications Director. Are you a strategic thinker and creative doer? A skilled writer who thrives breaking complex topics into sticky copy? A social-do-gooder (or aspiring one) with an easy sense of humor who wants to use your formidable skills to improve lives? Well then, read on.
While Fair Food Network’s communications department has many responsibilities – from brand to digital communications and content marketing – there are two overarching functions:
- Weaving a compelling organizational narrative and communicating that story across multiple channels in support of organizational goals and revenue.
- Serving as the in-house agency providing communications and marketing support to various programmatic efforts including Double Up Food Bucks and the Michigan Good Food Fund, in which Fair Food Network is a core partner.
Key Responsibilities of this Position include:
- Strategy: Create and implement annual communications and marketing plans for Fair Food Network and its key programs (Double Up Food bucks and Michigan Good Food Fund) that advance the organization’s strategic and marketing priorities.
- Content Development: Lead content development from strategy to execution advancing organizational thought leadership and development priorities through e-newsletters, annual reports, storytelling initiatives, issue briefs, multimedia products, print and online publications including blog, and other marketing materials.
- Leadership Presence: Support CEO and staff in public appearances and media engagement through talking points, presentation, testimony, and statements.
- Media: Enlarge and deepen media connections, setting media strategy, shepherding opportunities, and securing state and national coverage.
- Analytics & Reporting: Oversee establishment of department KPIs, measuring and reporting communications, media, and social media metrics and impact through bi-annual dashboards.
- Program Marketing:
- Set marketing strategy for Fair Food Network’s Double Up Food Bucks program in Michigan and select other states connecting with low-income families;
- Serve as communications lead for Michigan Good Food Fund, in which Fair Food Network is a core partner, developing and leading implementation of marketing campaigns for this statewide loan initiative reaching food entrepreneurs.
- Management: Build communications team hiring two manager positions and stewarding various vendors supporting success of:
- Digital Communications: On-trend websites, social media presence, email marketing, and overall digital experience of Fair Food Network brand and signature programs.
- Content Development & Marketing: High-quality content development and content marketing activities aligned with organizational and program priorities.
- Design: Beautiful design across organization and program brands.
What You’ll Need:
- 5+ years relevant experience in marketing, communication, media relations, public affairs, journalism, digital/social media, or related field.
- Demonstrable experience developing and executing successful communications and marketing plans.
- Proven ability to write and tell stories in a variety of mediums tuned for unique needs of different audiences.
- Experience setting PR strategies, engaging media, and top-tier securing coverage.
- Ability to gracefully pivot when needed, prioritize competing priorities, and responsively collaborate across teams while delivering results.
- Self-initiative and proven project and people management experience.
- Demonstrated awareness and understanding of the inequities that touch the communities we serve and an ability to communicate our commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Knowledge and understanding of the social platforms and their respective audiences
- Familiarity with nonprofit fundraising
- Desire to learn and continuously improve
- Deeply inspired by Fair Food Network’s mission
- Ability to help craft Fair Food Network’s next 10 years of impact
- Work with passionate, dedicated people
- Apply your skills for social change
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including full health benefits, a 401K match, family leave, an open PTO policy, and professional development opportunities
This position can be based in either our Ann Arbor or Detroit offices with regular travel between offices. They will report to Fair Food Network’s Senior Director of External Affairs. Salary starts at $75,000 and is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please fill out a brief application form and submit your resume and a writing sample at this link. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.