Fair Food Network (FFN) is founded on the belief that vibrant local food systems can create health and economic opportunity for all. As a national nonprofit, we work with a diverse network of partners and pioneer solutions that support farmers, strengthen local economies, and increase access to healthy food—especially in our most underserved communities.
Fair Food Network develops and implements programs that create on-the-ground impact and serve as replicable models that inform public policy. Key efforts include healthy food incentives and fair food financing, which influence different aspects of food and farming to help us achieve our vision of a local food system that provides economic opportunity and affordable, healthy food for everyone.
FFN is seeking a part-time accountant who will handle all accounting responsibilities in FFN’s office twenty hours per week. This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate that values improvement and efficiency to bring their skills and experience to a savvy, growing nonprofit organization.
The Accountant will work closely with the organization’s administrative and program staff and reports directly to the Director of Finance.
- Perform accounting duties, including:
- Record revenue including donations and grants income
- Review and enter expenses
- Track expense allocations to FFN’s complex network of restricted funders
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis
- Process invoices and post to appropriate accounts, print and mail checks
- Post and reconcile credit card transactions on a monthly basis
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable, ensure transactions are appropriately allocated by program or administrative function.
- Reconcile payroll processing and tax reporting with payroll provider reports.
- Generate weekly and monthly reports based on existing templates and memorized reports for FFN’s management.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close.
- Assist with aspects of grant financials including funder tracking, grant commitment requirements, payment dates, income and expenses, and all project/program reporting according to individual grant budgets.
- Proactively maintain a highly organized filing system including: file invoices; payroll paperwork, reimbursements, and other financial records.
- Assist in maintaining vendor and donor files including grant commitments, contracts, and W9 forms.
- Support FFN’s relationships with an accounting firm, banks, and other financial institutions as needed.
- Other bookkeeping and accounting duties as needed/appropriate.
- Professional training in accounting or other relevant field
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant work experience, preferably within a not-for-profit organization. Experience with governmentally funded organizations a plus.
- Advanced proficiency in Quickbooks.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, experience with arrays and/or pivot tables strongly desired.
- Strong administrative, organizational, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
The annual salary for this part-time position begins at $25,000; commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. If interested, please send a resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Application: Accountant.”
Fair Food Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects the diverse community that we serve is a priority, and we encourage applicants of all ages, cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other status protected by law.
Classification: Part-time | Exempt.
Hours: 20 hours per week. Flexible schedule.